Rogue Process

Alexey Fadyushin fab at s-tunnel.com
Fri Jul 30 18:15:42 UTC 2004

That process is an X window system server which gives you a graphical
interface.
If you are not working on that machine in a graphical interface (such as
KDE) you
are not using that process and it could be stopped. That process is not
used by
the system for anything other than providing you the possibility to use
graphical interface.
To switch the system from graphical inteface to text mode (and stop the
'X' process)
you can change system runlevel to 3 by using the command 'init 3'. You
will need
root privileges to do it.

Alexey Fadyushin
Brainbench MVP for Linux