slow to boot

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Fri Jul 30 23:24:24 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 03:47:46PM -0700, Stephen W wrote:
> but now ... when the machine boots it hangs for a long
> time at:
>
> starting sendmail
> starting sm-client
>
> They eventually load, but it sure takes time.  Is this
> related to something with the cable modem install?

This is a DNS issue.  Make sure /etc/hosts has your own IP address in it
and make sure that /etc/resolv.conf points to good nameservers.

> I do not use sendmail [yet - will it work with
> comcast?]

Yup.  You should make sure that sendmail.mc has a SMART_HOST entry
pointing to Comcast's mail server though - this prevents other hosts
from blocking your outbound mail.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA