Quick Shell script question

Henry Axelrod AxelrodH at emigrant.com
Thu Jun 3 15:46:25 UTC 2004

I have been trying to do something that seems that it should be very
simple in a shell script. I am trying to make a variable equal to the
output of a command. The command started off very complex but I created
a test script to bring it down to it's most simple form and it still
does not work. Here is the test script:

#!/bin/bash
# test script

test1='pwd'
echo $test1

when in this format the test1 variable echo's the word pwd instead of
the current directory.
I have also tried
test1= 'pwd'      # test1 is null and command executes
I am almost positive I have done this before in a script.
Any help would be appreciate.

Linux AS 2.1 Kernel 2.4.9-e.35
LEGAL NOTICE
Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is confidential
and may be privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only.
Access to this E-mail by anyone else is unauthorized.
If you are not an addressee, any disclosure or copying of the
contents of this E-mail or any action taken (or not taken) in
reliance on it is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you are not an
addressee, please inform the sender immediately, then delete this
message and empty from your trash.