Installed a DVD burner on RHL9, and now the machine reboots [SOLVED]

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Fri Jun 4 01:26:38 UTC 2004

Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:

> Well, moving the dvd burner to the slave on the primary channel (/dev/hdb)
> seems to have done the trick.  I've been able to run two backups now to
> dvd+rw media.  I don't understand why hda=ide-scsi would crash the system
> when hdb=ide-scsi works fine.

Nice to hear you seem to have fixed it Ben, but please change your
mindset about why some things don't work. I've been supporting PCs since
1983 and gave up on logic within the space of two years.

Sometimes, especially in the PC world - things just simply are. We have
to find work-arounds to make things work.

I don't even think this is a Linux issue to be truthful - I think it's
something in the PC BIOS, as the other Ed said - the problem you just
saw is not uncommon, others have come across it, and others have "worked
around" it.

Always approach the problem with logic first - then just try anything to
make it work. You'll be surprised.

I once got a lightening induced death modem to work by dropping it on
the floor from about 2 metres height. No joke.

Regards,
Ed.