Installing software onto Linux Red Hat 9

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Sat Jun 5 01:36:09 UTC 2004

sam_o_neill wrote:

> I am a new user to Linux and I found that it is very very different to Windows which is what I usually use.
> I downloaded the special Linux version of Real Player onto my computer but when I click on the file to start the installation it does nothing....on the site it said something about having to make the file executable first but I have no idea how to do it...

Hey Sarah, please set up your e-mail client to wrap lines at about 72.

You need to read up on the chmod command - type 'man chmod' to find out
more.

I simply MUST point you to the Linux Documentation Project
(www.tldp.org). They have excellent guides there for you to read. Start
with the Systems Administrator Guide.

The chmod command is pretty standard knowledge, and if you don't know
it, I can't recommend the above guide enough.

> and does anybody know of a way that Iwould be able to get my .wmv files to work with Linux????

Use a media player capable of showing wmv files. A google search on
'Linux wmv player' should give good results.

Regards,
Ed.