format for manually constructing outgoing email text file

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Wed Jun 9 23:11:14 UTC 2004

On Jun 9, 2004, at 7:04 PM, Chris W. Parker wrote:

> i'm basically just writing a simple mailing list manager in php.
> ultimately i want to be able to send emails to any number of recipients
> in my database. i could easily do this from php by looping through my
> recipients and using the mail() function. but i know that on windows
> (while using CDONTS through asp) this is not a good practice as mails
> can get lost because of the load created. so i assumed the same was
> true
> with sendmail and php. what *is* recommended with windows is to write
> out simple emails and dump them into the Exchange outgoing queue so
> that
> Exchange can handle them at it's leisure (at least this was the
> suggestion last time i looked into it).
>
> hopefully this is enough explanation, otherwise i can provide more
> (although i can't really think of anyway to explain it further at the
> moment).

You've just reiterated the point everyone has already made... dump it
to your MTA and allow it to handle the spooling and delivery.  However,
you'll definitely want to consider PIPELINING (sending multiple emails
through a single SMTP connection).  This will decrease the number of
sendmail threads and increase your performance.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting