format for manually constructing outgoing email text file

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Thu Jun 10 01:30:21 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 09 June 2004 07:48 pm, Chris W. Parker wrote:
> Chris W. Parker <>
>
>     on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 4:39 PM said:
> > Ed Wilts <mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org>
> >
> >     on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 4:22 PM said:
> >> Is there a reason why you're writing your own mailing list manager
> >> when there are good ones out there?
> >
> > well i'm trying to
>
> whoops. didn't finish that sentence!!
>
> "well i'm trying to make one central place for all our mailing lists."

I would go with the Mailman thing, as Ed suggested. PHP's mail function may
not be able to handle the load for a large list, or was not designed to do
that. In any case, why reinvent the wheel ?

However, if you don't like Mailman interface for subscribe / unsubscibe
mailing list, or like a more centralized way or keep track your list member
in your own database, what you can do is to have your own PHP page that
handle the registration / subscribe / unsubscribe, use your own database, or
whatever.
Then, have another PHP script or something that get that from the database and
put it in a format that Mailman requires for the list member. Same way with
unsubscription stuff. You can run this second script as a cron for example,
that do this kind of "synchronization" thing every certain period of time.
Sure there are time delays, but that's probably not critical, depending on
your requirement.

So basically let Mailman handle the mailing list job. It's already set up to
do that. Use the PHP for the "glue" language between your own interface /
database and mailman. Thus the end user don't even need to know you use
Mailman as your mailing list manager.

Just my $0.02

RDB
--