Compaq Proliant 1850R- Redhat: Switch KVM/Remove Keyboard = Lockup

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Thu Jun 10 17:54:24 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 11:11:18AM -0500, Gypsy Rogers wrote:
> OK, this is a very strange issue and I only know what is
> going on because of Trial and error. This is the SECOND
> Compaq Proliant 1850R running Redhat that has had this
> problem.

We've been running about 10 1850R systems with Red Hat Linux for a long
time - I've still got a 6.1 system that was installed over 4 years ago.
All of these systems are connected to one of several KVMs.

> The first one was in a separate Data Center and used a
> different KVM so I know it's an issue with 1850's running
> Redhat since we have not seen this on the 1850's we have
> running FreeBSD or Windows and since it's happened in two
> separate environments with more then one box. (We are
> distributed across 3 data centers and have about 8 Proliant
> 1850's running in our networks).

Either your KVMs are a different model than ours, or there's something
different with the specifics of your 1850Rs.

We are not experiencing any system lockups with our KVM-connected
issues.  I've seen a few other issues, from a horrible blue on black
console text display to really, really annoying flashing of the screen
during a RHEL 3 install, but never any lockups.

We have power-cycled our KVMs since they have a tendency to lock up on
occasion (not the systems - just the KVMs) and they have not caused any
issues for our Linux systems.

We don't have RHL 8 but do have 6.x, 7.x, and RHEL 3 on KVMs.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org