sendmail config help sought

Timothy Stone citylists at petmystone.com
Fri Jun 11 16:23:21 UTC 2004

I thought I would try to get my mail server working properly and I may
have hosed it indirectly. It is something likely very simple, but just
tucked away I'm missing it in my novice state.

sendmail-8.12.5-7 on RHL 8 (psyche)

Basically, I have crons that send me an email report on whether they
completed or not. My pager host recently opt'd to start SPF or some sort
of verification of domains, as what onced worked no longer does.

I figured that's because I don't have sendmail configured to do anything
other than send from "localhost.localdomain"

So to a sendmail quickstart and my nameserver I went.

First, I put an MX record in my local DNS (it does not update on the
'net, just used for internal lookups)

mail IN A 10.0.1.10
MX 0 mail.mydomain.gov

Then I went to sendmail.cf (/etc/mail/sendmail.cf)...

Djmydomain.gov

/I know I should use the MC files, but this is not a mail server of any
use whatsoever; could this be a source of my problem?/

I restarted sendmail...

$ sudo /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail restart

I restarted my named...

$ sudo /etc/rc.d/init.d/named restart

Then I tried sending a test email...

$ mail tstone at somedomain.com
Subject: test
test
^D

Nothing happens and I get bounced.

Attached is my bounced email.

Many thanks!
Tim

--
/**
  * Timothy Stone  . www.petmystone.com
  * Harrisburg PA  . javafueled at petmystone.com
  * USA            . coffee fueled macintosh zealot
  *
  * "This Satan's drink [coffee] is so
  *  delicious, we shall cheat Satan and
  *  baptize it."