restarting named - rndc: connect failed: operation canceled

Noah admin2 at enabled.com
Fri Jun 18 18:57:24 UTC 2004

> As you can tell from the above erorr, redhat's init script uses rndc
> to stop named. Rndc requires the proper key to be generated
> (/etc/rndc.key) and named.conf needs the proper control/acl
> statement added so that rndc can actually control named. Example:
>
> Use something like "rndc-confgen -a -b 512" to generate a new key. Further
> options can be found using "man rndc-confgen"

okay I followed the configuration to a tee and still having timeout issues.

I am still having time out issues.  what else cna I check:

1) generated new rndc key
2) copied the new rndc-kay to the rndc.conf file
3) placed the include /etc/rndc.key in the /etc/named.conf file
4)  then added the controls stanza as well.

> In named.conf, add something like...
>
> // Load the key generated by rndc-confgen.
> include "/etc/rndc.key";
>
> // Only allow localhost access from rndc
> controls {
>         inet 127.0.0.1 port 953
>         allow { 127.0.0.1; } keys { "rndc-key"; };
>
> Note: If your running named in a chroot'd environment, be sure to
> copy the key to the PATH_TO_NAMED_CHROOT/etc directory.
>
> Steve Cowles

here is a copy of my /etc/rndc.conf file:

-- snip ---

options {
        default-server  localhost;
        default-key     "rndc-key";