Router/Firewall Recommendation

Otto Haliburton ottohaliburton at comcast.net
Wed Jun 23 16:48:23 UTC 2004

I believe that you can prevent any outgoing port from being opened to the
outside world in the router fyi, in case you haven't prevented that.  Plus
if that occurs I think that the administrator needs to take swift and
decisive action.

> Similarly, you can rely on tcpwrappers to control most inbound
> connections but outbound is still a free-for-all unless you add iptables
> to the mix.
>
> For the best security, a well designed and implemented iptables
> configuration will be better than a hardware firewall.  However, for
> those looking for "good enough" solutions that solve the most common
> attacks, a hardware firewall like a Linksys router/firewall box does the
> job fairly well.

I respectfully disagree with you here.  A hardware firewall is practically
inpenetratable because the outside world never knows the ip address of
computers behind the firewall, were as the first level is penetrated
automatically by a none hardware firewall, you have to think about this a
little to get what I mean.

> Personally, I use a Linksys router/firewall with some predetermined
> ports forwarded to my Linux system (none to my Windows systems) and add
> tcpwrappers to restrict which hosts are actually allowed to use that
> service.  For example, ssh makes it through the firewall but tcpwrappers
> restricts the incoming connections to my office subnet.

if I am interpreting this correctly.  Not all of your computers are behind
the linksys firewall and that is the problem!!!!!

> Another important thing to note is the maintainability of the firewall.
> If my Linksys ever dies, I can throw in another one in no time flat with
> a fast trip to a local store.  If you use a  Linux system and have a
> hardware failure, you're in for a lot more work.

Agreed