Router/Firewall Recommendation

Otto Haliburton ottohaliburton at comcast.net
Thu Jun 24 07:42:25 UTC 2004

This is that old linux is better than the world bullshit.  I am saying
something very simple.  There is no learning curve, you spend your money and
you plug and play.  The fact that you were donated some boxes and stuff
good.  Large corporation are defeated as I said when they open their boxes
to the outside world because the penetration occurs when the OS is cracked
and the defense is shutdown.  Also when they setup they may open a port for
a particular piece of software that comes back to bite them in the ass.  In
general, though they are more vulnerable because they are a 'value target',
where as the individual generally is not worth the effort. It is a stretch
to say that what I am saying is contradictory.  I am saying that most of the
problems are due to human error and not to the boxes themselves.  As I said
port forwarding and all that stuff is available in the hardware router and
it is a hell of a lot cheaper to setup. I am not sure how you can easily
defeat nat with simplicity also.  The iptables and other methods are doing
that along with port forwarding and stuff, but you get the same stuff with
the hardware router and you get isolation which is the good thing.  Also you
can chain these router together with hubs and router etc.

Also the standard for this particular list is for bottom post and that has
nothing to do with trimming.  The purpose of the bottom post is to be able
to follow the entire transactions.  I personally believe that top post are
the way to go, because they give the reader the option of following the
transactions or just reading the last post. But at last that has proven to
be a futile effort.