Forcing sendmail to use mail server according to From address

Wolfgang Pfeiffer roto at gmx.net
Tue Jun 29 23:55:39 UTC 2004

Hi RDB
And Thanks for your fast answer

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 00:39, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 June 2004 06:04 pm, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> > The problem:
> > I'm on a single user home machine,  and I have 3 different mail
> > addresses, from 3 different companies. And, when using these mail
> > addresses, I want to force sendmail to look for the appropriate
> > (external) mail server according to the From/Sender address I use when
> > sending mails. I.e. I want sendmail to send my mails to these external
> > mail servers, that I am allowed to use, instead of sending them directly
> > from my local sendmail to the mail servers responsible for the
> > recipients addresses.
> >
> > Are there switches, settings in sendmail that can do this?
>
> This should be configurable in the mail client that you use (ie. MUA).

And this probably is the easiest way to configure it. But, provided my
memory serves me well, nothing gets logged to /var/log/mail.log if I set
this up in the MUA . And I need some logs to /var/log/mail.log when
sending mails. Sendmail usually writes them excellently, and I want its
loggings. I do all my mail transfer stuff with sendmail, since long. I
just didn't find out so far how to handle this special problem.

>  Some
> mail client allow you to set different SMTP server depending on the addresses
> you're sending from. For example, I have different addresses from which I
> receive mails. In KMail I can set "Identity" for those addresses, and I can
> also specify which SMTP server to use when sending email using those
> different identities.
>
> What mail client are you using?

                                        [ ... ]

Currently Ximian Evolution.