Spam and Anti-Virus

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Wed Jun 30 21:18:11 UTC 2004

On Jun 30, 2004, at 4:58 PM, Chris Purcell wrote:

> We're currently running our mail gateway on a Windows server running
> GFI
> Mail Security and GFI Mail Essentials.  We desperately want to move our
> gateway to a Linux server.  What spam and anti-virus software would you
> all recommend for a mail gateway?  It can be open source or commercial,
> we're willing to pay for a high quality product.  We have about 500
> users
> and currently get about 100,000 pieces of spam per month.  The spam
> software must do bayesian filtering and it would be nice if each user
> could train its own mail and release any quarantined spam without the
> help
> of an administrator.

I've built a number of high-end mailservers using a combination of the
following.  So far, they've all worked beautifully.  The bayesian
"learning" occurs on the server, and all mails are tagged with
X-Spam-Level headers for client filtering.  This wouldn't stop you from
adding client-side bayesian clients (like spambayes' pop3proxy).

postfix/TLS
Cyrus SASL2
Courier-IMAP/POP w/authmysqlrc and TLS
MySQL virtual accounts
PostfixAdmin for account administration
Squirrelmail
Amavisd-new
SpamAssassin
Razor2
Clamav

SASL2 is for SMTP AUTH.  I have it configured to use Courier's
authdaemond setup for configuration, since authdaemond supports MD5'd
passwords in MySQL.  I also use a StarterSSL-signed certificate, since
clients like Eudora have problems with OpenSSL self-signed certs.   The
initial setup can take anywhere from 4 hours to 48 hours, depending on
your experience with these applications.

I'm going to be giving a talk on Secure Email Servers at next month's
Columbia, MD LUG (http://www.calug.com).  Anyone in the area is welcome
to come, so long as the heckling is kept to a minimum.  ;-)  I'll post
the document link to this list afterwards.

HTH.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting