Kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 5524 (httpd)

Jay Berryman jay.berryman at sitel.com
Tue Jun 1 19:56:32 UTC 2004

I have been seeing the following error messages in /var/log/messages
every couple of days.

kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 5524 (httpd)

 These type of messages continue on through the log until the server
crashes.  I believe it is a memory leak in apache, but I have no idea
what is causing it.  I am currently running RedHat 9.0 on kernel
2.4.20-8smp with apache version 2.0.40.   The server is completly up to
date with the latest redhat bugfixes and errata.  Any help on this issue
would be greatly apreciated.  Thanks.

--
Jay Berryman
Systems Engineer, RHCT