Accessing a Mass storage device

Roger Pregent RPREGENT at flemingc.on.ca
Wed Jun 2 13:04:57 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: "Reuben D. Budiardja" <techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu>
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list at redhat.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 08:22:48 -0400
Subject: Re: RE: Accessing a Mass storage device

On Tuesday 01 June 2004 12:33 am, Roger Pregent wrote:
> It's a usb device much like an ipod actually it's basically an ipod for
> functionality sake, but it's made by RCA

Try this and see if it works (as root):

1. Make a moint point for it in /mnt:
$> mkdir /mnt/usb_device

2. Mount it (assuming your harddrive is all IDE, *not* SCSI)
$> mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb_device

if you have 1 SCSI harddrive, then you need to mount /dev/sdb1, or /dev/sdc1
ir you have 2 SCSI drive, etc..

3. See if you can get the file there
$> cd /mnt/usb_device
$> ls

The likely thing to happen if linux doesn't recognize it is step 2 to fail. If
that happens, please tell us the error message when you do step 2

When I performed step 2 I got the following error:

/dev/sda1: Input/output error
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

What exactly is this asking of me and how do I correct it?