Setting a Users Quota when creating account.

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Thu Jun 3 03:25:37 UTC 2004

On June 2, 2004 10:03 am, Steve Buehler wrote:
> I have done some searching and haven't found what I am looking for
> yet.  Maybe I am just looking in the wrong place.  Does anybody know of a
> simple perl script that I could run like the following:
> scriptname username passwd softlimit hardlimit
> What I want it to do is to create a user on my RHEL 3.x system and set the
> user and group quotas for that person with their soft limit and hard
> limit.  The username would be the same as the group name.  Would be nice if
> the script would change the quotas for a user who is already on the system
> if an command line option is used to tell it to.  But the priority for me
> is just to get one to do it while adding the user.
>
> Thanks
> Steve

Steve,
this was discussed last week under "Automatically assigning user quotas". You
want to use useradd and edquota wrapped into a script.
Have a look at 'man edquota'.

If you need help creating a script to do this, just ask. (I could help with a
bash script, I'm sure there will be no problems getting help in perl).
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce