Newbie Question - What is actually executing the binary?

snodx at hotmail.com snodx at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 6 15:10:09 UTC 2004

Hi guys,

Thanks for your awnsers. Your awnsers gave me a lot of searching material.

I searched for "How the kernel executes binary files" and some such related
keywords, keyphrases in google and I came across this URL:

http://tech.dupnica.net/understandinlinuxkernel/ch19e.html

This webpage deals a lot with the internal working of the kernel. It
mentions the functions sys_execve, prepare_binprm and load_binary
which perform the binary execution process.

But what I was interested in knowing is WHICH kernel module defines
these functions? Which library is called by the kernel when it recieves
the instruction to execute a binary, the library that contains these
symbols?

What I basically am interested in is the knowing the complete knowledge
of the background? That is when I create an executable of my own using
gcc or some other 'C' compiler and run the executable by saying
"./executable-name" then which kernel modules are involved, their
sequence e.t.c. If I get to know the name of even one kernel module
I can search out the whole module sequence from google.

By the by in this context I ran the command "ksyms" on a Redhat
terminal but I did not come across the aforementioned symbols, not
even something close. I guess "ksyms" shows only the externally
usable kernel symbols.

Sorry for keeping you engaged.

SNODX