chmod /var/spool/mail

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Mon Jun 7 14:15:09 UTC 2004

On Monday 07 June 2004 09:48 am, Duncan wrote:
> Can anyone please help , my server tends to give out this message if tail
> maillog , some have suggtested that i chmod 777 /var/spool/mail .I am just
> scared of doing the inreversible thing , please help . error:
> Mailbox vulnerable - directory /var/spool/mail must have 1777 protection

>---------------------------- Duncan Rack

I remember I got that message too. My /var/spool/mail have 1777. It's
certainly *not* irreversible.

chmod 1777 /var/spool/mail

is all you need. In my case, this message only happens in RHEL 3 server. My RH
7.3 still have 755 in /var/spool/mail, and it never give out that messages.
Maybe RHEL 3 is just more picky, I dunno. I just did it to avoid seeing that
annoying messages.

RDB

--
Reuben D. Budiardja