RedHat 9 stops routing internal packets? Begging for helphere..... please...

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at Weiss.name
Tue Jun 8 00:34:11 UTC 2004

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, c_ elber wrote:

> >What happens if you turn the firwall off. (Service iptables stop). Also
> >check the traceroute result ??
> >
> >VK
>
> VK;
> Thank you so much for the offer of help!  When I do service iptables stop
> then I can no longer  ping or traceroute outside addresses from any internal
> address.  I can still ping the router itself but not beyond it. For a
> traceroute, from a client box, with iptables stopped I get the address of my
> router and nothing beyond it. From the router itself I can still access the
> outside which is how I'm emailing.
>
> With iptables running I can ping and get a full traced route to a
> destination such as www.google.com, from a client box, but I can only bring
> up say a small piece of the page in a browser before it times out.
> Thanks again,

IIRC, you're probably using iptables as your NAT router.

What's the output of iptables -L?

What's the output of netstat -r?

What's the output of cat /etc/sysctl.conf?

What's the output of cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward?

Ben