RedHat 9 stops routing internal packets? Begging for helphere..... please...

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Tue Jun 8 01:33:07 UTC 2004

On June 7, 2004 11:46 am, c_ elber wrote:
> >What happens if you turn the firwall off. (Service iptables stop). Also
> >check the traceroute result ??
> >
> >VK
>
> VK;
> Thank you so much for the offer of help!  When I do service iptables stop
> then I can no longer  ping or traceroute outside addresses from any
> internal address.  I can still ping the router itself but not beyond it.
> For a traceroute, from a client box, with iptables stopped I get the
> address of my router and nothing beyond it. From the router itself I can
> still access the outside which is how I'm emailing.
>
> With iptables running I can ping and get a full traced route to a
> destination such as www.google.com, from a client box, but I can only bring
> up say a small piece of the page in a browser before it times out.
> Thanks again,
> Jo

Hi,
What are you rules like?
Here is what it looks like from reading this post:
Your default rules are deny or reject as opposed to accept.
You may be missing/misconfig the line to allow established and related. That
would explain why ping works and traceroute. They are icmp messages, not
established connections.

can you post either your rules or else the output of
'iptables -L' (as Benjamin included).
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce