dns - to delegate or not

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Tue Jun 8 21:52:42 UTC 2004

At 23:49 6/7/2004, joe wrote:
>Hi, I'm establishing a new sub domain "sub1.domain.com", the mail for this
>sub domain will be outsourced and hosted on the outsourcers network, I would
>prefer Not  to delegate the sub domain to the outsourcer but rather manage
>it myself under its parents current zone.  Can this be done?

Yes. You can handle the DNS for any zone or sub-zone regardless of where
its systems are and who runs them. DNS is an independent service. However,
I *do* suggest that you "delegate" the zone and have two separate zone
files for it, even if they are both on your server. This will make future
administration much easier... and if you do decide to delegate the zone to
them later, it will be a very easy change.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com