Two interfaces on the same network

AL Chane al_chane at issc.com.tw
Wed Jun 9 04:51:20 UTC 2004

Rodolfo J. Paiz ??:
> At 22:12 6/8/2004, AL Chane wrote:
>
>>      I have two interfaces on my linux PC in the same network:
>

> Can you explain in detail *why* you want to do this? It is generally
> considered a Very Bad Idea [tm]. Perhaps we can help you find a better
> way to fulfill your requirements. Do you need more bandwidth? Do you
> just need that computer to have two IP addresses? What is it that you
> are trying to accomplish?
>
> Cheers,

My application is an IP Camera with two interfaces (eth0 is wired
ethernet, eth1 is wireless) running on uClinux. IP Camera provides
an Http server so clinet browers can access by either ethernet or wireless.

Two interfaces work fine with different networks, but have probem
to work in the same network as I described in the previous message.

The situation I might have is like this:

    Users need first to use ethernet (eth0) to access http server
    to setup wireless(eth1) like SSID, WEP. Once wireless is setup,
    two interface eth0/eth1 with two IPS exist in the same network.
    If user unplug the ethernet wire, wireless won't work unless
    I make ethernet down or change ethernet IP to different network.
    This step might not be friendly for ordinary users.

Thanks :)

AL Chane