app to look/view/inspect http traffic...

Jenkins, Jeremiah jeremiah.jenkins at neustar.biz
Wed Jun 9 17:33:40 UTC 2004

Have you tried tcpdump or ethereal

-----Original Message-----
From: bruce [mailto:bedouglas at earthlink.net]
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 1:38 PM
To: 'General Red Hat Linux discussion list';
perl-win32-users at listserv.ActiveState.com
Subject: app to look/view/inspect http traffic...

hi...

i'm trying to figure out what's going on with a site from my browser... does
anybody have/recommend a good "open source" app to see/review the http
traffic going back/forth between my box and the site's server...

my issue is that i can use a browser and i get the html/response within the
browser. when i try to emulate what the browser is doing, using
libwww/mechanize/etc... i get something different. in fact, when i try toto
insert what i believe to be the url/query into a browser url address, i get
a different response...

so i'm looking to actually try to see the http trafffic that goes back/forth
between my browser and the server to track down what's really being sent...

i'd prefer something that's quick/easy to setup and run, that produces a
reasonable output!!!

thanks...

-bruce