Bind ip alias

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Wed Jun 9 17:57:36 UTC 2004

At 07:18 5/23/2004, Jason Staudenmayer wrote:
>You should also use CNAME and not so many
>A records. It should look like this
>

>hosteddomain.com.               IN      A       realip.address.com.
>ftp.hosteddomain.com    IN    CNAME     hosteddomain.com.
>mail.hosteddomain.com   IN      CNAME           hosteddomain.com.
>www.hosteddomain.com    IN    CNAME     hosteddomain.com.

CAREFUL!

For a beginner it is often safer simply to use all A records. It is too
easy to forget (as you just did) that MX records for mail CANNOT ever refer
to CNAME records. They barf heavily and do not work. MX records MUST refer
to an A record and not a CNAME.

Also, when using names in zonefiles like "mail.hosteddomain.com." remember
to add the period at the end! You did not do so in several of the lines
above, and the query will then ask for
"mail.hosteddomain.com.hosteddomain.com." which is not what the user wants.

Here's one of my local zonefiles as an example:

[root at galileo root]# cat /var/named/chroot/var/named/domain.com.zone
$TTL    86400
$ORIGIN domain.com.
@                       IN SOA  @ root (
                                 2004060501      ; serial
                                 3H              ; refresh
                                 15M             ; retry
                                 1W              ; expiry
                                 1D )            ; minimum

                         IN NS           @
                         IN A            192.168.4.1

galileo                 IN A            192.168.4.1
achilles                 IN A            192.168.4.2
mayo                 IN A            192.168.4.2
mail                 IN A            192.168.4.2
www                 IN A            192.168.4.2
ftp                 IN A            192.168.4.2

$GENERATE 3-255       ip$     A       192.168.4.$

Note how the use of the $ORIGIN variable allows me to use simple "local"
names inside the zonefile. Since none of them end with a trailing period,
all will have the origin tacked on to the end. Simple, easy, less prone to
error.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz