DSL modem and routing...

Vivek Kumar vivekk at gorave.net
Wed Jun 9 20:26:07 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I have Verizon DSL connection @ home. As the service is for home so I
dn't get static IP. But if I keep my box ON my IP remains the same. What
I want is to put a router and connect DSL modem and all my PCs to it and
once someone from outside world telnet to my IP (which is give by the
service provider) he should get login prompt from this Redhat box and
after authentication he/she should be able to log to my box.
I am trying to set this up but somehow its not working. I cna ping the
IP but telnet is refused. Do these Cable/DSL modem forward the packet to
Router or any device connected to it. ??

My router knows that any thing on port 23 forward it to Linux box #1.
How do I setup such kind of network. Is there something I am missing ??
Any suggestions ??