Sendmail problem - Please someone who could help me!

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Thu Jun 10 01:50:07 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 09 June 2004 09:03 pm, Mario Robayo wrote:
> Hi,
> I just installed a Redhat 9 for email server with
> sendmail.  In order the clients can send theirs mails
> from outlook i comment the line
>     dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1,
> Name=MTA')

The commend on that line is so that the machine can receive mail from outside
network (other than localhost).
What did you mean by "clients can send theirs mails from outlook"? Are you
planning to use your sendmail as a public SMTP server?

> and open the port 25 for SMTP in the firewall.  My
> problems began the next week.  The mail are being
> blocked or could be delivered.

Being blocked by whom? The server you're trying to send mail to? How do you
know it's being blocked? Did you get bounces ? Check the /var/log/maillog
when this happens.

I think i make a
> newbie mistake...  I don´t know if i must close the
> port 25 or is a sendmail configuration problem, i
> don´t know how to check if the server or domain is in
> a blacklist.

Put the IP address of your server here, and see if it's in any of the (black)
list:

http://openrbl.org/
http://www.dnsbl.us.sorbs.net/cgi-bin/lookup?js&IP=
http://www.mail-abuse.com/cgi-bin/lookup