Two interfaces on the same network

Vidiot brown at mrvideo.vidiot.com
Thu Jun 10 04:38:02 UTC 2004

>Larry Brown ´£¨ì:
>> ---------                                       -----------------
>> | Linux | 192.168.2.1 --Wireless--> 192.168.2.2 | Wireless User |
>> ---------                                       -----------------
>> 192.168.1.1
>>   Wired
>> 192.168.1.2
>> --------------
>> | Wired User |
>> --------------
>>
>> Sorry, my first ansi drawing.  Why can't you use this?  If the Linux box
>> is set up to route traffic between the networks,  Each machine can see
>> one another.  Each machine can access the html access on the Linux box.
>> Or if you use a wireless node on the network, you could have wireless
>> users coming onto the 192.168.1 subnet and everyone can see everyone as
>> they will be on the same subnet for that scenario.
>>

>I don't have problem for the setup about. But my setup is different and
>linux box is not setup to route traffic between he networks. Please see
>details:
>_________eth0 172.20.1.30   _______________
>|#1 PC  |-----------------> |Wireless AP  |
>|Linux  |                   |Router       |->ADSL->Internet
>|Http   |eth1 172.20.1.31   |172.20.1.254 |
>|Server |...wireless......> |_____________|
>|_______|                        ^
>__________                       |
>|#2 PC   |                       |
>|Windows |NIC 172.20.1.32        |
>|Http    |-----------------------|
>|client  |
>|________|

As pointed out by others, what you have above is not going to work.

The top diagram is where you need to be.  What you have also exposes your
Windblows boxes to internet hacking.  You need to use the Linux box as your
internet connection and firewire box.  Something like this maybe:

			internet

		      eth0 - Linux
		      eth1 - Linux

		    multiport switch

	|	|	|	|	|	|
	|	|	|	|	|	|
	|	|	|	|	|	|
     static  static  static  static  static	|
       IP      IP      IP      IP      IP  	|

					   wireless box
						.
						.