Advanced Server free?

Paul Crossman pcrossma at orange.us
Thu Jun 10 19:50:52 UTC 2004

That's exactly what it is.

If you want to obtain an installable binary copy or RHEL, you have to
pay for a one year subscription.

If you wish to "roll your own", to coin a phrase, RH "currently" is more
than happy to provide you with a full set of SRPMS to download and build
the complete set of RPMS yourself.

Of course there's a small matter of the installer, which you will also
have to "roll your own" on.

So, a more correct statement would be that the RHEL product line is not
free, but is available on a subscription fee basis.  However, currently
the sources are freely available until RH decides that they won't be as
is their right under the GPL.

The amount of money you'd spend in time and effort to create your own
release would be more valuable than the cost of forking over the cash.

Paul C.