Two interfaces on the same network

Vidiot brown at mrvideo.vidiot.com
Fri Jun 11 03:59:53 UTC 2004

>At very first time, users need to use wired ethernet to configure
>IP Cam's wireless setting (SSID,WEP, etc) to make wireless connection
>work. At this time, two interfaces in the same subnet exists. Then users
>might just unplug ethernet and put IP camera on the wall without
>ethernet cable. But now Linux box's route table still have
>(eth0 wired) for same subnet, so traffic won't go thru wireless eth1
>unless wired eth0 is brought down or have subnet changed to make
>traffic pass thru wireless eth1. Otherwise, users might think wireless
>eth1 function doesn't work at all.

Now I understand your problem.  You have a convoluted mess for which I can't
think of an answer.

A thought just came to mind... can you split the class-C address in half
with the netmask, i.e., set addresses 1->127 to eth0 and 128->254 to eth1?
Then I think you can use the low addresses for wired and the upper addresses
for the wireless connection.

I'm not saying it'll work, but worth a try.  Others reading this can say if
it will work or not.

MB
--
e-mail: vidiot at vidiot.com                                /~\ The ASCII