Dal in modem

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Fri Jun 11 11:46:58 UTC 2004

On Friday 11 Jun 2004 9:20 am, Duncan wrote:
> Hie Good pple, i have a dial in modem already configured on my machine  on
> a serial port com1 , and the other modem connected to my service provider
> on com2 .My question is it possible to add another dial in modem , do i
> install a serial card , or do i use the LPT1 port and wat configurations do
> i make in linux to implement this.
>
> Please help
>
> Duncan Rack

Hi Duncan.

I'd suggest one of two options based on whether or not you're going expand
more later.

Firstly, if  you're likely to want to connect more modems later I'd look at a
serial port card.  You can get cards that support 2, 4, 8 or more serial
ports from one card - make sure you get one that's Linux compatible.

Secondly, and much cheaper, if you're not likely to want more than 3 modems,
go for a Linux compatible internal modem - either a full-blown traditional
internal, or one of the later - cheaper - so-called win-modems. Again, make
sure Linux supports it first.

--
Gary Stainburn