directory quota for root ?

Ed Kim edkim80 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 11 16:25:33 UTC 2004

Hey all,
I have a system with redhat 9 and quotas set up; however, I would like to
limit the amount of space that the root user has to write to a certain
directory without making the directory a seperate partition.
Basically, I have a c++ program which needs to be run under root, and which
stores data to a certain directory.  The program stores until the directory
runs out of space ( previously it was linked to a seperate partition) so
this works ok.  But we would like to keep this directory now on the same
partition so that when it issues a 'mv' command, it won't have to do so much
disk io... ( these are large files -> 3+gb).

I've attempted to setup a user with a quota, but when the program is
executed as root, it ignores the user quota.  I've attempted to create a
user with UID = 0 and setup quotas for this user, but it changes root quota
as well.

Thanks in advance.

Ed