finding USB camera using kdf and lsmod, etc

Steve steve at focb.co.nz
Sun Jun 13 13:51:46 UTC 2004

You need to add the path to programs to your PATH environment variable
otherwise the shell cannot find the programs you tell it to run.

Typing su by itself says "become root, but retain all my useer
environment" - which is fine but doesnt load roots PATH environment.

using 'su -' gets around that, the - says "change to root and load all of
roots environment as if I had logged in as that user"

Windows has exactly the same issues with PATH environments - it just hides
it really well by defaulting to let the useer run anything.

'man su' describes some of this - but to fix your immediate issue, try
adding a '-' to the end of the su command.

The reason you cant run programs when in the /sbin directory is also
related by the way, as '.' (the current directory) is also not in your
PATH (which is done on purpose by the way..) - it is there by default in
windows.

You can change this behaviour by editing /etc/profile and removing the 'if
UID = 0 then do the pathmunge stuff' statement and just having the
pathmunge stuff by itself (including the . directory if you are
exceptionally brave)

--
Steve.