gweather & mgetmetar.pl (Return too soon)

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sun Jun 13 23:06:58 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 06:43, Mike Vanecek wrote:

> > > Not anywhere on my system. Also, have not been able to find a copy via the
> > > normal search places.
> >
> > Well, that explains the messages you are seeing in your logs.
> > Someone is requesting that cgi program...and it doesn't exist.
>
> Quite so, which brings us full circle back to my original post:
>
> # grep -i mgetmetar.pl /usr/libexec/gweather-applet-2
> Binary file /usr/libexec/gweather-applet-2 matches
>
> shows that gweather references mgetmetar.pl.

Sorry, I hit return too soon....

If you check the gweather applet more closely you will see...

$ strings /usr/libexec/gweather-applet-2 | grep mgetm
http://weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/mgetmetar.pl?cccc=%s

Showing that it is calling mgetmetar on an external site...

So.....

--
"An opinion is like an asshole - everybody has one."
    - Clint Eastwood as Harry Callahan, The Dead Pool - 1988.