Updates for a Network Install

Oliver Aaltonen aaltonen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 19:17:44 UTC 2004

Hello all,

I'm looking to install Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 WS on a bunch of
workstations, and would like to do it over the network. What I've done
so far is copied the contents of all four installation CDs to a
directory on a server (also running EL3) and made it available via
HTTP. I ran a test install using a kickstart file that pointed the
installer to the server over HTTP and everything ran perfectly, no
problems at all.

My dilemma is this: many of the packages on the CDs are not up to
date, and Red Hat has released updates that are available through Red
Hat Network. I can always install the updates after getting the
machine up and running using up2date, but that's not a nice as simply
updating the packages being served to the machines and being installed
initially.

Is there a simple way to get the updates from Red Hat and have them
overwrite the files in the distribution directory? Perhaps a way to
run up2date on the RPMs in the directory?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks,

Oliver