Wemin IS cool

Matt Hanley MHanley at cxtec.com
Wed Jun 16 14:51:37 UTC 2004

> Proprietary - no!  Red Hat ships multiple printing subsystems (lpd and
> cups) and both are open source.  Nothing propietary about them.

I don't know if proprietary is the right word, but Red Hat definitely does
some things that differ from other distros with regards to CUPS.

> For cups, it's in /etc/cups.  Here's my config file for my
> simple 1 printer setup on my RHEL 3 system:

I got in trouble thinking everything was in /etc/cups.  You can either edit
the config files, or use the redhat-config-printer tool - but if you mix and
match you can get in trouble.  Red Hat's GUI tools store some information in
/etc/alchemist in a compressed XML file.  I can't tell you how many times I
edited a config file only to have it overwritten by the GUI at some other
time.

-matt