Chmod 1777 /var/spool/mail

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Wed Jun 16 16:43:06 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 16 June 2004 11:30 am, Duncan wrote:
> after chmod 1777 /var/spool/mail , i am now getting these messages in my
> mail log . Jun 16 17:15:09 domainname procmail[3837]: Enforcing stricter
> permissions on "/var/spool/mail/username"
>
> does anyone have an idea wat this means .Do i have to chmod to 775 which i
> understand is the default

I don't know what that means, but here is in my system (RHEL 3):

for /var/spool/mail:
drwxrwxrwt    2 root     mail         4.0K Jun 16 12:01 mail

for /var/spool/mail/username:
-rw-rw----    1 username  mail            0 Nov 22  2003 username

I don't have any problem / weird messages with those permissions.

RDB
--
Reuben D. Budiardja
Department of Physics and Astronomy