Updates for a Network Install

Jurvis LaSalle lasalle at bard.edu
Wed Jun 16 18:27:44 UTC 2004

On Jun 15, 2004, at 3:33 PM, Ryan Golhar wrote:

> I was trying the exact same thing.  If you have one machine configured
> properly, there are two ways I know of to do this:
>
> 1.  On the RedHat Network Website, you can download a bunch of updates
> as a tarball for the machine.
>
> 2.  Use up2date and tell it to look in the directory you copied the CDs
> into and update the RPMs.  I believe the switches are -d -k <install
> directory>
>
> I actually found that I don't rebuild the machines all that often.  In
> fact, I haven't rebuilt the machines yet so that download only occurs
> once...new CDs come out every so often with the new packages, so I
> stopped worrying about it...
>
> Ryan

I'm not sure if I've violated some RH EULA but this is what I did:

	1) configure master box with a fresh install using latest RHEL U2 isos
	2) configure up2date on master to save rpms when updating, they will
be saved in /var/spool/up2date/*.rpm
	3) scp those rpms into a directory on the install server- make sure
this directory is exported by nfs
	4) Profit!! Er... in the %post section of the kickstart generated on
your master box add the following lines:
			mkdir /mnt/rpms
			mount <ip address of nfs server>:/exported/rpms /mnt/rpms
			rpm -ivh /mnt/rpms/*.rpm >> /root/jurvupdate.log 2>&1
			umount /mnt/rpms

There's a lot more you can do with the %post section of your kickstart
file, have fun!

hth,
Jurvis LaSalle