Sending mail to External ISP mail server

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Thu Jun 17 01:50:29 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 11:29:23AM +1000, Dennis James wrote:
> I would like to send root mail to an outside mail server.
> As well at times i would like to have  log files sent to an outside mail
> server Isp.

# vi /etc/aliases
edit the entry for root: to point to where you want the mail deliverd
# newaliases

Done.  I am assuming, of course, that you can actually send mail to that
address...

> I had a look at the sendmail.cf ( also researched on the internet) and it
> was enough to turn me off.

sendmail.cf is not for the faint of heart, nor even for most experienced
sendmail administrators.  We typically edit sendmail.mc and then use m4
to build sendmail.cf.  However, that's for configuring how mail is
processed, not for who mail gets forwarded to.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org