Re-ordering disks on boot

Mark Bradbury mark.bradbury at cdu.edu.au
Thu Jun 17 03:59:04 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 00:44, Joseph Hardin wrote:

> I am running RHEL3.0 update1 and I am having a problem with my disk
> ordering.
>
> I recently added a qlogic HBA and allocated some san disk, now when I
> boot the machine the hba comes up as /dev/sda and my local disks are
> pushed back to /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc. I realize that when the machine
> boots it's scans for devices and it's finding the hba first, therefore
> labeling this disk /dev/sda, however I can't find where I can force this
> device to be discovered last.
>
> >From a support perspective I need to be able to force redhat to
> recognize my local disks as /dev/sda and /dev/sdb and my san disk as
> /dev/sdc. I have tried this through modules.conf, however, I am not
> having much luck.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?

You seem to have scsi local disks so you should be able to edit
/etc/modules.conf and add a number on the end of the alias for the hba
then remake your /boot/initrd file with /sbin/mkinitrd this will then
load the module for you local drives first so they should turn up as the
first drives. Heres the entries in my modules.conf file

alias scsi_hostadapter1 megaraid
alias scsi_hostadapter2 megaraid
alias scsi_hostadapter96 qla2200_6x
options scsi_mod scsi_allow_ghost_devices=1

Hope this helps

--
Mr Mark Bradbury RHCE
Senior System Support Officer (UNIX)