Signal out of range

Johnson, Shaunn SJohnson6 at bcbsm.com
Thu Jun 17 15:53:28 UTC 2004

Howdy:

I'm running RedHat Linux ES v. 3.0 on an x86 box.

I was shutting down / rebooting the server when a message
came up saying that /var/gdm has the right owner, but
should be set to 0750 permissions.  I did log in and
chmod 0750 /var/gdm and rebooted the server.

Now when it gets to the point of coming up to the
screen, it goes immediately to something flashing
(video??) message 'Signal Out Of Range'.
I am unable to do anything at this point (I'm trying to
crash the box and log in as single user).

What was that about and why would this happen?  I'm
looking at google.com to see if this has occured,
but I'm not finding anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks!