sendmail and "sender domain must exist" error

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Thu Jun 17 16:27:05 UTC 2004

On Thursday 17 June 2004 11:01 am, Timothy Stone wrote:
> Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> > At 07:01 6/17/2004, Timothy Stone wrote:
<snip>
> I believe that is my problem. This server is not on the public net here.
>
> It's not a matter of having the network provider adding an MX record, I
> can have that done quickly (I'm in charge of that), its that if I add an
> MX record it's not going to point to a mail server, and that is
> something my network admin won't have/allow, if only for her FUD about
> Linux.
>
> While "harrisburgpa.gov" has a public zone file, it does not have an MX
> record or an A record for "mail" or other such name. Only "www" as those
> servers are the only ones exposed on the public net.
>
> So, how do I turn sendmail into a relay for outgoing mail? Or whatever
> that is called. :)

I am no sendmail expert either (nor am I expert of any kind :) ), but what you
want is maybe called Smart Host in sendmail ?  Please take a look at that and
see if that what you want. I think what SmartHost do, it will forward the
mail to your publicly accessible (real) mail server  or www from your
internal mail server, which then relay it to the pager host.
Something like:

define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp:smtp.harrisburgpa.gov')dnl in sendmail.mc,

where smtp.harriburgpa.gov is your external / real mail server.

I am maybe way off, but check on the mailing list archive or google.

RDB

--
Reuben D. Budiardja
Department of Physics and Astronomy