Security Level Configuration stuck on "high"

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Thu Jun 17 22:05:38 UTC 2004

On Jun 17, 2004, at 5:49 PM, Tom Holford wrote:

> I recently completed my first RHL 8.0 server installation, and tried
> using the Security Level Configuration tool to allow incoming WWW and
> telnet.  I can change the settings in the pop-up box to "Medium"
> security level, allow incoming WWW and telnet, and select "OK" to save
> and close.  But the system settings do not seem to change, and when I
> reopen the Security Level Configuration tool, the settings have been
> reset to "High" security level.
>
> Is this a bug?

I don't know that Red Hat would consider it a bug, but it's definitely
a "missing feature".  Lokkit does not honor the existing settings in
/etc/sysconfig/iptables.  This has been the norm for as long as lokkit
has existed.  I remember RH telling me they were "working on it" as far
back as RH7.2.

> How can I change the firewall settings to allow incoming WWW and
> telnet?

You already have.  Run it again, then review /etc/sysconfig/iptables.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting