RedHat on Sun Equipment

Ted Beaton tbeaton at plansysit.com
Fri Jun 18 12:40:44 UTC 2004

I've spent most of my time running Solaris on Sun equipment.  The past 6 months I've been working with RedHat on intel pc's (as "servers").  Management doesn't want to spend any money.  I've got an opportunity to pick up a Sun Enterprise 450 Workgroup server for very cheap money.  I would like to use it to replace a pc that has been pressed in to service as a "server" but we are running RedHat on it.  I have a copy of Solaris that I could put on the 450 but the apps we have on the "pc server" are running on RedHat now.  I don't know if it would be a seamless transition to move them to Solaris. Will RedHat run on a Sun Enterprise 450 server without any special configuration?  Also, does anyone know if Sun's Solstice DiskSuite will run on RedHat.  It is a pretty good software RAID solution that I am already familiar with.  I'm sure there is another one out there somewhere but I'd rather not learn another right now.

Thanks in advance,

Ted