RedHat on Sun Equipment

Rigler, Steve SRigler at MarathonOil.com
Fri Jun 18 13:52:08 UTC 2004

E450's are an older, "workgroup" class server that could handle (AFAICR)
up to
four UltraSPARC-II CPU's. Re-manufactured ones can be found for pretty
cheap.

I have no experience with RedHat on SPARC hardware, but I'm pretty sure
the
most recent release to support it was 6.2.  You could probably recompile

newer packages yourself for the machine, but you'd likely end up with
more of
a novelty machine than a production server (based on the
supportability).

Going with Solaris on a Sun (any machine) would be the best bet, but
then you're
faced with migration issues.  Depending on your situation that might be
hard
to justify with such old hardware.

btw - The RedHat equivalent to Sun's DiskSuite would be either LVM or
raidtools.

-Steve