restarting named - rndc: connect failed: operation canceled

Cowles, Steve steve at stevecowles.com
Fri Jun 18 19:53:33 UTC 2004

Noah wrote:
> okay I followed the configuration to a tee and still having timeout
> issues.
>
> I am still having time out issues.  what else cna I check:

Unfortunately, I don't see anything wrong with what you have done. What else
can you check?

1) Are you getting any named config errors when named starts. Check
/var/log/messages. I know in the past, I've seen the named init script
report [OK} on restart, when named actually had errors preventing it from
starting.

2) Are you sure named is actually listening on port 953? i.e.

[root at excelsior etc]# netstat -nap | grep 953
tcp   0   0 127.0.0.1:953    0.0.0.0:*    LISTEN      1044/named

3) Are you sure named is not running in a chroot'd environment?

[root at excelsior etc]# ps auwx | grep named

named     1046  0.0  2.1 14088 4204 ?        S    Jun15   4:14
/usr/sbin/named -u named -t /var/named/chroot
[...snip...]

Note the -u and -t command line arguments.

BTW: You can always test your rndc implementation without restarting named
by simply issuing an rndc status. Once the status argument is working, the
stop argument that the named init script issues should work. i.e.

[root at excelsior etc]# rndc status
number of zones: 25
debug level: 0
xfers running: 0