Kernel Panic: No init found

rahul b jain cs student rbj2 at oak.njit.edu
Fri Jun 18 20:14:17 UTC 2004

Hi everyone,

I made a few changes in the kernel code and recompiled the kernel. Then
when I reboot the system I am getting the following errors

mount: error 19 mounting ext3
pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot, /sysroot/initrd) failed:2
umount /initrd/proc failed:2
kernel Panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

Below I have listed the steps that I followed to recompile the kernel

1. make mrproper
2. make menuconfig (didnt change anything here)
3. make dep
4. make clean
5. make zImage
6. make bzImage (since i got error in prev step about image being too
large)
7. make modules
8. make modules_install
9. cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-18.9-new
10. Changed lilo.conf
11. lilo
12. reboot

I am using Redhat 9.0. Can someone please give me a pointer as what went
wrong and how do I correct it.

Thanks,
Rahul.