dhcpd server - Can't bind to dhcp address. Address already in use

Grey Kuyper greykuyper at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 20 00:03:02 UTC 2004

The "entire" dhcpd.conf is nothing but comments (#) ecxept for the lines shown. There is no further information available in the dhcpd.conf file.

cat /etc/sysconfig/dhcp   give "No such file or directory".

That is what is so weird. This is an "out of the box install". Nothing fancy, nothing strange. Works on the laptop, fails on the server.

Weird.

"Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz at simpaticus.com> wrote:
At 18:10 6/18/2004, Grey Kuyper wrote:
>(there is more but I commmented it all out to get to just the problem. The
>problem appears when the subnet declaration is included)

Harder to diagnose with partial information; best to post the *entire*
dhcpd.conf and also the contents of /etc/sysconfig/dhcp.

>Softwarewise:
>
>ps -ef | grep dhcp says there are no other dhcp daemons running about.
>
>ps -ef | grep bootp says there are no other bootp daemons running about.

Don't grep for dhcp or bootp... rather grep for anything on ports 67 or 68.

>I installed the latest and greatestfrom www.isc.org which at this moment
>is dhcp-3.0.1rc13.ta.

So you installed from tarball, *not* from RPM? Yuck. Are you sure that you
did not have an RPM installed earlier? That is, are you sure that you don't
have duplicate stuff lying around?

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz