dhcpd server - Can't bind to dhcp address. Address already in use

Grey Kuyper greykuyper at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 20 14:25:23 UTC 2004

You are, of course correct. The subnet line says:
   range 192.168.0.100 192.168.0.200

In any event. The boot attempt just prior to the subnet declaration being commented out behaved identically to the previous attempts and the behaviour did not change after commenting the subnet declaration out. Since changing the dhcpd.conf has no effect on the outcome I would guess the problem is before the dhcpd.conf

"Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz at simpaticus.com> wrote:
At 18:03 6/19/2004, Grey Kuyper wrote:
>The "entire" dhcpd.conf is nothing but comments (#) ecxept for the lines
>shown. There is no further information available in the dhcpd.conf file.

But your posted segment had an *empty* subnet declaration. That's not going
to work! The following is a rather minimalist /etc/dhcpd.conf from memory:

# Global variables
authoritative;
option domain-name "domain.com";
option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2;
option routers 192.168.0.1;
option ntp-servers 192.168.0.1;
option time-offset -21600;
max-lease-time 86400;
default-lease-time 86400;
allow unknown-clients;
deny bootp;
ddns-update-style none;

# Subnet declaration
subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
range 192.168.0.101 192.168.0.254;
}

#EOF

Is this similar to what you have?

>cat /etc/sysconfig/dhcp give "No such file or directory".

You need to check more carefully! In this case I had a typo... but rather
than just typing the command blindly you should look for /etc/sysconfig/dh*
and you would likely have seen two files: dhcpd and dhcrelay. My
/etc/sysconfig/dhcpd shows:

# Command line options here
DHCPDARGS="eth1 eth2"

The interfaces listed are those to which the dhcp server should listen and
respond. Every subnet on every interface where dhcpd is listening must be
configured in dhcpd.conf. If no addresses are to be assigned on a given
interface, but for some reason dhcpd *is* listening on that interface, then
add the subnet block with *without* a range statement.

>That is what is so weird. This is an "out of the box install". Nothing
>fancy, nothing strange. Works on the laptop, fails on the server.

How could it possibly be "out of the box" if you got it from ISC? They
don't supply Red Hat-standard RPM packages, do they?

If it fails, what is the complete output of "netstat -leanp" and what does
the log in /var/log/messages show when you start up the dhcpd server?

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com