Router/Firewall Recommendation

Alejandro Calbazana acalbaza at calbazana.com
Tue Jun 22 02:51:43 UTC 2004

Hello,

I was looking for some recommendations on using a standalone RH machine as a
firewall.  Right now, I have an older Linksys router which I use as a
standalone router for my broadband connection.  I was considering placing a
firewall behind my router.  Other than being overly paranoid, I'd like to do
this b/c i like the logging capability of iptables and iptables has much
more flexibility as far as rules go.  The Linksys router simply routes,
forwards, and does rudimentary logging.  My questions are:

1. Is the overkill from a home network?
2. Should I just use my linux box as a router AND a firewall and ditch the
Linksys appliance all together?
3. If there is room for both, how might the router allow traffic to flow to
the machine I designate as my firewall?

Thanks,

Alejandro